Tuesday, November 16, 2010

self and identity

I think the most rewarding part of this volunteer class (cong tac xa hoi) is that fact that you can change little lives “a little at a time.”

I think that I’ve become more responsible and dependable. Before this experience, I was pretty afraid of hurting the kids or doing things wrong. As a result of service-learning, I am proud to say that I KNOW HOW TO PUT ON A DIAPER FOR KIDS AND HOLD A BUCKET FOR THEM TO PEE IN :D YAY!!! What an accomplishment! Never in my life would I ever come close to anyone’s pee before. If I didn’t sign up for volunteering, I would never ever been expose to such task until when I become a mom and have to deal with all of this.

I learned about myself and my self-value. Everything was usually handed to me and I had a lot of people watch after me especially because I was the youngest and the only girl in the family. But through all of this experience, I learned that I was capable of many things including the fact that there was still a language barrier between me and the teachers, I learned to work my way around it to help them wherever and whenever I can and get my hands dirty.

From being around all the teachers and kids, I think that it has pushed me into perhaps a career path where I go into teaching (definitely not high schoolers, and probably not elementary school) college students are a little more motivated because they first of all got in to college :) ahhhhh and maybe those plans are inclusive to my plans to get my MD or PHD some how...BUT wherever I go, despite which paths I take in my life, I will always have this experience with me and the knowledge that I obtain in the process.

--peace and love

No comments:

Post a Comment