Tuesday, November 9, 2010

can you sayyyyy sooooociety?

Volunteering at Sao Mai opened my eyes to the community. Never before have I had the opportunity to work with such an organization or kids. And it’s great seeing how much some of the teachers just love and adore these kids while some teachers just teach them tough love.

When Lan, Nancy and I were painting and there was a group of about 20-25 college girls from one a educational university right across the street from Hanoi University. Although they came from many different backgrounds and experiences, they were all at Sao Mai for one reason and that was to check out the vicinity, one in which they might work at in the near future.

All the girls there were really friendly and caught us off guard when we were painting and they were so kindly enough (and excited) to help us transform the playground for the children. It’s inspiring such young people so motivated as I “used” to be dunno what happened to me :( LOL. I sound like I’m older them…we were born in the same year -_- Moving on…I talked to a few of them while they helped us paint and apparently there are quite a few organizations like Sao Mai out there besides Thanh Xuan Peace Village.

I guess in the states I was very oblivious to everything that was going on out there. It’s opened my eyes and it’s like a whole new world out there. It’s a shame that took me this long to realize that there are people out there suffering every day.

My dad told me to remember to appreciate everything that I have any disabilities like blindness, and that I have people to take care of me. And lucky for the kids at Sao Mai for having such lovely parents…I see it in the kids eyes when their parents or grandparents comes to pick them up. And to have an organization to care and educate their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment